World-wide Theatre Backdrops
We are renowned in the theatre community for our commitment and passion for the manufacturing of theatre backdrops. We aim to wow our customers with our high-quality products that will impress customers and their audiences!
We treat each order as bespoke, every one of our customers is special. Which is why we will listen and guide you through each step from initial enquiry to measuring, production and installation. Including advice from our experts on how to care properly for your backdrops.
Our theatre backdrop and backcloths can be ready made to use and hang, and are always finished to your exact requirements. The curtains can come in a variety of sizes, fabrics and styles. See the collections on our stage fabrics page. The backdrops will be sure to support and frame your stage perfectly.
We also offer an exclusive range of curtain accessories to compliment your stage backdrop, from cotton webbing to chain weights and full storage protection bags.
Why Whaley Stages?
- Tailored solution
- Years of industry experience
- Trusted family business
- Bespoke design
- Flame retardant fabric
- Installs included
- In-house sewing department
Theatre Backdrop Styles
There are several different styles of theatre backdrops. Each have their own uses and traits to help bring your production to life. The core being:
- Gauze (Scrim) a multipurpose stage drape. As an open weave fabric, it creates a magical effect by manipulating light. The material will appear opaque when lit from the front, or translucent when lit from the back.
- Scenic Backdrops can bring the performance to life by highlighting what is happening on stage. It is most commonly painted on to add scenic value, so we recommend either Assorted Cotton Canvas or Scenic Cotton Canvas for their durability and high versatility.
- A Cyclorama hangs towards the back of the stage and is normally used to represent open space or the sky. In some circumstances, this style of stage curtain can also be projected onto, but to achieve this effect the fabric used must be seamless which is why we recommend Filled Cloth or Cotton Canvas.
- Star Cloths are perfect at creating an illusion of a starry night. Paired with our Supreme Blackout fabric we work alongside an electrical team to entwine fibre optics or LED bulbs into the fabric. These are then connected to a control box which can then also be connected to a DMX control desk if you have the equipment.
Here at Whaleys Stages, our in-house customer service teams are ready to answer your questions. We support producers, directors, event planners and administrators daily to help them find the perfect backdrop solution.
We are proud Whaley stages products have been used across the globe in theatre, music and show productions globally. Stuck for inspiration? Our team keep our news section populated with the latest industry new. Or fancy seeing what we have already worked on? Our projects section gives a glimpse into products completed already.
Our Whaley Stages teams look forward to assisting you with your enquiry. We take pride in helping and supporting our clients.